Monday 25 June 2012

MOO Piyasombatkul

On my walk home today I bumped into two little girls selling lemonade outside their house. It's that stereotype from American movies and that ad on TV for which I can never remember what it actually advertises, all I remember is something about Hong Kong dollars. Well actually these girls were selling apple juice, which they told me was not home made, just from the fridge, and that it contained some ginger, although they weren't sure why. They also told me they didn't mind if I didn't like it.

Perhaps not the most convincing salespeople but the honesty of it all hit the spot. The ginger-y apple juice wasn't half bad either. Ten pence per cup- good value too. But what I really loved about it was the motivation- just wanting to do something. When I was younger, my friends and I created an insect zoo in their back garden, charging entry at 50p as far as I remember, and featuring a wonderful array of not so exotic slugs and the like. Our first visitor grazed her knee on the path in the 'zoo' and we decided this venture was too risky, and at this young stage of the business we could not afford insurance.

But God loves a trier, as does everyone I'm sure. Anyway, to make a long story not so long, I love coming across young designers making something of their talent. And I love them succeeding even more. Today I came across the works of eyewear designer MOO Piyasombatkul, who hails from the city of Bangkok. Having studied at the prestigous Central Saint Martins, Moo launched her brand in February 2011 at London Fashion Week. Stocked at Browns and Opening Ceremony, her designs have been worn by Lady Gaga and Chinese actress Fan Bingbing. Moo uses vintage frames and adorns them with hand-carved porcelain pieces in Baroque and 'bubble' shapes. These ornate frames are sure to, as she puts it, 'make geek the new chic'. Check out some of her designs below, and for more information on her designs, visit her Facebook page.




No comments:

Post a Comment