Tuesday 18 December 2012

Interplay


For Issue 7 of 1883 magazine, I had the pleasure of working with photographer Beate Sonnenberg of London agency Trayler & Trayler. Assigned the task of a technology still life, I decided to take a conceptual approach, looking to the origins of still life photography. I was inspired by the composition of Irving Penn's photographs (below) where he piled quite random items which I referred to with the inclusion of things like the Stephen Einhorn skull eggcup and bone spoon, an apple and the Margiela feather pen. I sourced retro style cameras like the Leica one (right) designed by Paul Smith and this great diner style phone from Wild & Wolf. I also love the leather briefcase the phone stands in, kindly lent by Lanvin. Beate shot the piece in black and white to add to the old-fashioned feel, looking to the dramatic shadows of Edward Weston still life photographs as inspiration.



Take a look at Beate's blog here and see more of her work on her website. Be sure to get yourself a copy of 1883's Timeless Issue in stores or order online.

No comments:

Post a Comment