Saturday 4 August 2012

If I were a boy...

It takes a lot to make me lift my eyelids after work on the tube. I usually half-heartedly flick through the Metro, just to make me feel like I'm up to date with current affairs but then I stop when I realise all I'm doing is educating myself on what Kate's wearing that particular day. Anyways, so there I was, trying not to fall asleep or make awkward eye contact with my fellow passengers, when I spotted a rare beast- a well dressed passenger. What first struck me was his flint grey hair, speckled with some slate and charcoal strands- offset by his younger face (and when I say young, I mean young for grey hair, as opposed to too young to be riding the tube alone). Next up was his grey linen-mix blazer- the natural yarns of the linen with discrepancies in grey shades just like his hair. The collar and lapel were so crisp and fresh- in the sort of way that makes you want to reach out and crush them in your hand, yet commanding a respect that puts that sort of idea right back out of your head. He wore it with a white shirt, collar open just-so, faded red softly-tailored chinos and some dusty pale blue suede loafers.

I wish I could have taken a photo because the combination looked way better than it sounds. The easy elegance of his outfit and his amazing hair have really stuck in my mind the past week and now I can't seem to avoid photos of men in crisp tailored summer jackets. They make me want to be a man. Them and the characterful panache of tucking a printed handkerchief into one's breast pocket... And then there's Don Draper. Sure, as a woman, you more want to be with him than be him, but hey he's fictional so emulating him is more realistic. There's those moments when he sits in his office, brandy in hand and loosens his tie. Women have no ties to loosen (loosening your scarf doesn't quite have the same effect). It's unfair really. No crisp collars to demand respect, no ties to loosen dramatically after a hard days work... I guess I'll just have to console myself by enjoying photos of such stylish men. Take a look below for some street shots from Nam over at STREETFSN. Oh if I were a boy...







No comments:

Post a Comment