Sunday 19 August 2012

Elusive Style

As much as I enjoy seeing photos of fun, frivolous fashion, nothing captures my attention more than those mysterious creatures who manage to stun us time and time again with outfits untouched by trends.



I used to be one for trends. Back when I was fifteen years old, I felt I needed one piece from each trend page in Elle or Vogue. These days, you can find me hunting for the perfect white t-shirt (it's an elusive creature), a fail-safe pair of jeans (Topshop or Zara), an every-day black leather bag (it has escaped my grasp for 22 years).... To add to the basics, there are some chic women whom inspire me- Solange Knowles and her pink lipstick, Clemence Poesy and her penchant for trilbies and fedoras, the Olsens and their massive array of jewellery (I love how they wear a ring on almost every finger). I couldn't possibly list every stylish woman and then there are the ones I see in street style photographs, whose names I don't know- their mystery adds to their appeal. And to my frustration. Because we all know that the key to chic isn't in the cream blouse they're wearing, or the bangle they chose to leave off their wrist that morning. Proportions are key, quality essential and I don't think a sense of humour and fun goes astray either. I sometimes wonder if their seeming disregard of trends, in a world obsessed by them, is another element that subconsciously adds to my fascination.


No matter how out of my grasp, I'll never tire of admiring these rare beauties from afar. Here are just a recent few of my favourite shots.



                                 




No comments:

Post a Comment