Tuesday 18 September 2012

London Fashion Week - September 2012

Today was the last day of London Fashion Week. There was a distinct air of weariness and everyone's faces seemed a little duller, their shoulders a little heavier. But the ending was bittersweet, because, for me at least, it had been five days spent in a dreamworld of fashion shows, glamorous locations and beautiful people, with an atmosphere of apprehension and nervous excitement.

I had some surreal moments - like spotting Scott Schuman outside Somerset House, where with probably not enough hesitation, I went up and introduced myself, gushing and telling him I was a massive fan, my grin widening stupidly as he shook my hand, him telling me it was nice to meet me. He was lovely, perhaps finding my embarrassing display of enthuasiasm endearing, who knows? I met him again at his book signing the next day at Harrods, where Garance also made an surprise appearance. The nicest part of meeting them both was seeing their lack of pretension, their sincere smiles and hearing their genuine words. The world of fashion is all too often seemingly dominated by fake people, living up to the industry's reputations of back-stabbers and devils wearing Prada (although more often than not it's Zara).

I spotted a few other recognisable industry figure heads and people I admire over the five days- Caroline Issa of Tank magazine, Alexandra Shulman, Anna della Russo, Caroline Sieber, the list could go on forever. I was lucky enough to see the shows of designers like Paul Smith, Todd Lynn, JJS Lee, Eudon Choi, JW Anderson... I sometimes felt like I was floating, all the time waiting for that lurching, jolting feeling you get when you awaken suddenly from a dream.

I'll have posts on the shows and street style up soon but in the meantime, take a look below
 for some snapshots from the frontline.

This trio were dedicated posers for the week and the street style paparazzi proved to be just as dedicated.

1883 magazine's Ginger Clark takes it all in at Somerset House.

When you're too far back to shoot the runway, adapt.

 
The simple invite from Paul Smith that managed to whip me into a frenzy.

The Sartorialist doing an impromptu interview on the street for 1883 magazine.

Paul Smith took to the runway for the finale as I looked on in awe.

Disco balls galore at the W hotel for the Fyodar Golan after party. 

I half-expected Borat to appear as I watched a "model" change into over three outfits for "street style" photos as her photographer rolled about on the cobblestones. And when one camera snaps, you can count on a hoard of photographers to gather in a nanosecond. 

 And finally, a shot of myself with Scott Schuman and Garance Doré, all smiles.



No comments:

Post a Comment